Saturday, July 27, 2019

Featured Model - 7/27/2019, Malik

Hello and welcome to another edition of Featured Model, the weekly blog event where I pick a model from my collection, give some stats on it and provide commentary about it. This week's model is...Malik!



As you're probably already aware, Malik is this year's Classics Horse of the Year model. He's a brand-new sculpt by Sarah Minkiewicz-Breuning  and is item #62119.

At first I wasn't terribly enthralled by this mold - his hair is a little over-the-top. And he has a rooster tail, just like Sarah's previous sculpt for Breyer - the Croi mold. However, over time he grew on me - he is an Arabian, after all, and I like Arabians. All the same, I feel like he should have been named Def Leppard or something - he'd fit right into an '80s music video.

While the mold is nice, the execution (at least, the paint job) is a little lacking. They couldn't make sure to paint his entire mane the same color? The bit that flows onto his withers is the same as his body color. And he looks like they forgot to paint his right front hoof. I mean, this is a $20 RR model I'm talking about, but still.

Anyway, I'm excited to see how they use this guy next year. Breyerfest, maybe? Or some kind of Collector Club special run like Callahan or Calvin. But let's maybe nix the randomly-shipped thing, okay? I'm getting tired of that. And for that matter, when are we getting a new Mason? Are we due for new Classics next year? I hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment