Saturday, January 1, 2022

Featured Model: 1/1/2022, It's Showtime, Folks!

 Hello and welcome to another edition of Featured Model, the weekly blog event where I pick a model I don't own but would like to, give some stats on it and provide commentary about it. Happy New Year, everyone! This week's model is...Showtime! 



This handsome fellow was a run of 12. He was item #712016 and was produced on the Ethereal mold sculpted by Kathleen Moody. 

Showtime was one of the special runs produced for the Velvet Rope Event held at Breyer headquarters back in 2008. It was the second special collector event Breyer held, after the Premier Event in 2002. I seem to recall seeing some verbiage around that time indicating that Breyer would hold an event at their headquarters every 6 years, which held up through 2014 with the Big Easy Bash. So there should have been an event at Breyer headquarters back in 2020, but the Seattle Soiree was held (planned to be in-person, but ending up being virtual due to Covid). After the VRE, collector events started happening approximately every other year, but there was an event in 2020, then again in 2021, and Breyer has indicated another happening this year, so it looks like yearly collector events may be happening. Maybe this year we'll go back to Breyer headquarters! Who knows.

In any event, Showtime is a very rare model indeed - I can't remember if I've ever seen one come up for sale since rejoining the hobby in 2010. He's definitely handsome - and the only photo I have to work with is one of Breyer's notoriously-bad promo photos, so I can only imagine how amazing he looks in person. Maybe someday I'll find one for sale for a good price...but in the meantime I'll just have to admire him from afar. 

As for Ethereal himself, the mold was just used as the TSC special run Wilder. Prior to that he had been used as the 2017 Halloween Horse. I hope we get another release on him soon, because he's been used rather sporadically since his 2011 Breyerfest Spun Gold appearance. He's not everyone's favorite mold, probably because of his slightly-ponyish appearance, but I love him all the same. Maybe we'll get a web special? I probably shouldn't hope for that since the web specials have gotten rather hard to acquire in recent years, but maybe he'll get a mid-year release or something. 


No comments:

Post a Comment