Saturday, November 3, 2018

Featured Model - 11/3/2018, Pamplemousse

Hello and welcome to another edition of Featured Model, the weekly blog event where I pick a model from my collection, give some stats on it and provide commentary about it. This week's model is...Pamplemousse!



This handsome guy was the last ever JAH special run, issued in 2011 with the end of regular publication of the magazine. He's item #712059 on the popular Othello mold. While I don't know his run number, I would guess it to be around 1,000.

I remember the distribution of this model being a bit of a mess. Two batches were sent out, and the first batch had a lot of quality issues such as lint under the gloss. The second batch was sent out quite a bit later than the first, with no warning to the people who bought them, but the quality was much better.

My guy was part of the second batch, and I'm definitely glad I had to wait a bit longer to get him, because he has no quality issues and he's just beautiful. I love his palomino color, and the gloss suits him very well. His finish is so smooth and buttery, I just love to touch him. I hope that doesn't sound weird...

Anyway, the only thing I don't like about this model is his stupid name, which is French for grapefruit. Okay, it's fancy or whatever, but you couldn't think of anything better than that? Like, I can't think of anything right now off the top of my head, but I've never been good at naming horses. You have people for that, but this was the best you could come up with?

Okay, enough ranting about his name. He's a beautiful model on one of my favorite molds, if not my top favorite mold. I have almost all of the releases on this mold, and Pamplemousse is among my favorite of those, because of his beautiful color. This year's palomino Callahan was a pretty good match for him, really.

As for Othello himself, he was just used as the Breyerfest volunteer model this year, and made his first web special appearance as Rainier last year. Where will he pop up next? He's still in the RR line as SBH Phoenix, so I doubt we'll see anything new there. I have a feeling Breyer will give him a rest for a while, but I suppose he could show up at next week's Scottsdale Stampede. Time will tell! Hopefully his next release, whatever it ends up being, is obtainable!

No comments:

Post a Comment