Saturday, November 24, 2018

Featured Model - 11/24/2018, Kashmir

Hello and welcome to yet another edition of Featured Model, the weekly blog event where I pick a model from my collection, give some stats on it and provide commentary about it. This week's model is...Kashmir!



This, uh, interesting girl was the second model in Breyer's now-defunct Big Cats web special series, making her debut on the website in 2014. She's item #712112 and was a run of 275 issued on the Goffert mold sculpted by Kathleen Moody. Interestingly, the model is a mare, when the original Goffert was a stallion.

The Big Cat series was always, well...I don't know if controversial is the right word. People either loved them or hated them. Kashmir was no different, if I remember right; I don't think she was terribly popular, but I wasn't drawn for her all the same. Fortunately, I was able to snag one later on for close to her original issue price, so I can't complain too much.

I think she turned out pretty well, although I personally would have used Goffert to portray a lion with all his hair. Wouldn't it have been crazy if the molds for Kashmir and Leandro had been switched? Like I said, Goffert would have been a pretty good representation of a lion, where Silver is slimmer, has less hair and would portray the smaller snow leopard pretty well.

Oh well. What we got is what we got. I do like the black tips of her mane, her dark shading, and her green eyes (but how cool would it be if her eyes were even greener?).

Goffert's mold got a lot of use in 2014, what with being used as the Breyerfest celebration model, this release and that year's Halloween model, Night Mare. He was also used for 2016's collector event and popped up as another web special with this year's Gettysburg. Where will he appear next? I suspect he's being given a bit of a rest, but I wouldn't protest if he was used at the 2019 Breyerfest. Hopefully we see him again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment