Saturday, October 10, 2020

Featured Model - 10/10/2009, 2003 Auction Lonesome Glory

 Hello and welcome to another edition of Featured Model, the weekly blog event where I pick a model I don't own but would like to, give some stats on it and provide commentary about it. Because we had the Sassy model release earlier this week, today's model is...the 2003 Breyerfest Live Auction Lonesome Glory! 


Like the title says, this model was one of the OOAK models sold at the 2003 Breyerfest Live Auction, produced on the popular Lonesome Glory mold sculpted by Kitty Cantrell. He's described as a "Light Blue Mosaic with Silver Mapping and Horseshoes," although in the above photo he actually has silver hooves except for that rear left one, which is shell-colored and doesn't appear to have a horseshoe painted on it...interesting. 

 Okay, I'll admit LG isn't quite at the top of my list of favorite molds (not that I don't like him at all, or I wouldn't have any in my collection), and as such I don't always feel the need to have them in my collection...but this one is a huge exception. WHO OWNS THIS MODEL AND HOW MUCH WOULD THEY SELL IT FOR? Holy crap. I love blue, I love silver, I love both of those combined with white pinto markings...it's a winner all around. I know, it's probably not for sale anyway. I'd actually be interested to know if it's developed any seam splits at all, since the early LG models were kinda known for that. If so, would Breyer fix it, or replace it? Interesting quandary. 

Anyway, I decided to feature a Lonesome Glory this week because of the Sassy release, and also because I came to the realization that the LG mold is now 20 YEARS OLD. When did that happen?! Sheesh. I guess I don't need to speculate about upcoming releases for him since Sassy just came out, but I do wonder if this means he'll get another release soon. Maybe a new RR for next year? He's had about a billion appearances at Breyerfest, but it looks like his last RR appearance was 2016's Holiday Horse, Woodland Splendor (I'm pretty sure that counts as a RR for that year?). The Zenyatta run ended in 2015 in any case, so it's been a while since we've seen a wide release on him. I'd say it's high time for another! Or perhaps a web special? One never knows.


1 comment:

  1. Lonesome Glory will have to come out as Swiss Skydiver, the filly who just won the Preakness.

    ReplyDelete