Saturday, December 10, 2022

Featured Model - 12/10/2022, 2004 Auction Rain

 Hello and welcome to Featured Model, the (weekly?) blog event where I pick a model I don't own but may have an interesting story behind it, give some stats on it and provide commentary about it. This week's model is...the 2004 Breyerfest Auction Rain! 















What a pretty model! She was a OOAK done on the somewhat-underused Rain mold sculpted by Kathleen Moody. She was sold at the 2004 Breyerfest Live Auction and sold for the princely sum of $1,400, if IDYB is to be believed (no reason to think it wouldn't be). 

IDYB lists her as a Silver Dun Overo, which is probably what it says on the info card there in front of her, but she looks more like an early attempt at dunalino to me. With some metallic and gloss thrown in there as well. I wonder where she is now? Many of these auction models from 20 years ago and before seem to have disappeared into the mists of time. It would be interesting to see where they are now! Hopefully not lost in a storage unit somewhere (which has happened at least once). 

As for Rain, the reason she hasn't been used much is probably because most collectors seem to have turned up their nose at her due to her cartoonishness. She did make a return as Chica Linda in the Spirit Riding Free collection in 2018, but doesn't seem to have been too popular as she was only in the lineup for a year. Poor Rain gets no respect! Uh...including from me, I guess, as I don't have any Rains in my collection. Her only other appearance as an auction model was quite nice, too.  So it's hard to say where we might see her again - perhaps as a Holiday Horse? I don't see her fitting in at Breyerfest anytime soon, but you never know. I guess we'll have to wait and see! 

3 comments:

  1. Yeah even though those auction models have pretty paint jobs, if I'm spending a lot of money on a model horse, it's not going to look like a cartoon lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's quite possible that Spirit and Rain are so little used due to copyright issues with various movie studios. This is a guess, I hasten to add. I happen to really like the Rain mold and wish I had room for every model horse I liked!

    ReplyDelete