Friday, September 20, 2019

Lillian and Molly (Yay)! and Salem (Boo)!

More good news, everyone - my Lillian and Molly set arrived today, along with Salem! Let's look at Lillian and Molly first:



They're beautiful! I love that the foal is a slightly darker shade than the mare - it always irks me a little when a mare and foal match perfectly, since that doesn't always happen in real life. I didn't get a chance to photograph them with Bristol, but I'll bet they would make a great family!



Their quality is pretty good as well! Although I feel like I have to say...I really don't like the white basecoat on models, and I wish they'd leave it off. I prefer the softer white on unbasecoated models, even if they do yellow later - the basecoat makes the whites too stark, and no real horse looks like that unless you scrub them clean every day.

Okay, now that I've gotten that off my chest, let's take a look at the mare's face:



Her eyes are beautifully detailed, and like I said before, I love the contrast of her black mane against the buckskin and white. Beautiful!

Unfortunately, my Salem didn't fare so well in the quality department. Take a look - he had to be supported by Lillian to stand up facing that direction:



That front left leg is scary. Look, I can forgive a lot of things, but a leg so badly warped the model doesn't stand up without assistance isn't something I can overlook. I already sent Breyer an email - hopefully I can get him exchanged, because yeesh. Plus the pawprint on his left shoulder is blurred.



He's fine otherwise - the cat design is clever, and I like his two blue eyes - but that leg has to go.



This is the first time I'll have tried to exchange something since my flawed Fylkir in 2017, so I don't anticipate having trouble exchanging him. I hope they don't take too long to get back to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment