Saturday, August 24, 2019

Featured Model - 8/24/2019, Estrela do Carnaval

Hello and welcome to another edition of Featured Model, the weekly blog event where I pick a model from my collection, give some stats on it and provide commentary about it! This week's model is...Estrela do Carnaval!



This was a rare mare release on the Silver mold sculpted by Kathleen Moody. She's item #711236 and was a run of 725 as a special run at Breyerfest 2016.

This model was definitely a controversial one when she was first released! For all I know, she's still controversial. The mud-brown body color, combined with the samba dancer on the belly, didn't make for a good combination, at least in some hobbyists' eyes. While I do like her, or I wouldn't have her in my collection, I probably wouldn't have done her the same way. I would have at least made her glossy, to try to keep all those decals from peeling off, and I'd have picked some color other than brown for the body. Imagine if it had been a nice deep blue, or green? And glossy? She'd have gone from pariah to runaway success.

Not that she wasn't a success anyway. With that low run number, she was definitely the hot item that year, much like Banner this year and By a Nose last year. But I digress. The size of that samba dancer decal on the belly may end up being a problem down the line if they eventually start peeling, so I hope that doesn't happen. But a nice coat of gloss would have been a good idea.

As always, Silver remains a popular model, but I suspect Breyer will give him a rest for a while. He's been used for just about everything since they brought him back from semi-retirement - but maybe I'm wrong and Breyer will surprise me with something! I hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment