Saturday, May 13, 2017

Featured Model - 5/13/2017, Mini Mustang Lady

Hello and welcome to Featured Model, the weekly blog event where I pick a model from my collection, give some stats on it and provide commentary about it. This week's model is... Mini Mustang Lady!

 
This model is a portrait of the real Mustang Lady, the Breyerfest Celebration Horse from 1991. Item #711080, this model was issued on the G2 Appaloosa mold sculpted by Kathleen Moody. It was one of the models in the 20th Anniversary Commemorative Set, a run of 500 issued at Breyerfest 2009.
I love the little details on this model. The race number and freeze brand add a lot to what would otherwise be a nondescript gray paint job (although I don't think the freeze brand is positioned quite right). This mold was used for two other models in the 20th Anniversary Set (Bright Zip and Rugged Painted Lark), and they're both nicely detailed as well - as is the rest of the set. It makes me wish Breyer would have made a five-piece followup set for Breyerfest 2014 to depict subsequent Celebration Horses. Oh well; maybe they'll do it for Breyerfest 2019 for the 30th anniversary. I can dream, right?

The mold itself has plenty of personality as well; I like his prancy stance and swishy tail. Whatever he wants, he wants it NOW. He's been used quite a bit over the last 19 years - regular runs, Breyerfest, JC Penney, JAH and more. I may sound like a broken record at this point, but I'm hoping he shows up in this year's Stablemate Club. Especially since we now know he probably won't show up at Breyerfest! Fortunately, we don't have that long now until the next release is revealed. I'm looking forward to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment