Saturday, May 6, 2017

Featured Model - 5/6/2017, Chestnut Pinto American Saddlebred

Happy Kentucky Derby Day, readers! It's time for another edition of Featured Model, the weekly blog event where I pick a model from my collection, give some stats on it and provide commentary about it! If I were more interested in sticking with a theme, today's model would be on a Thoroughbred mold. But you get the G2 Chestnut Pinto American Saddlebred instead! Ha!


 

This oft-overlooked girl was produced in 2001 as part of a four-piece Stablemate Gift Pack (and a pretty-much-identical version of her appeared prior to that in the five-piece Saddle Club Stablemate Collection from 1999-2001). She was produced on the G2 American Saddlebred mold sculpted by Kathleen Moody.

I had not noticed before now that the braids aren't painted on this particular issue. Shame, Breyer! I suppose they figured it wouldn't be worth the effort on a mundane regular run item like this. From a quick glance at ID Your Breyer, it looks like this is one of the few releases on this mold that haven't had the braids painted. Interesting!

I do like the G2 Saddlebred; she's cute, and I like the parked-out stance. She has the beautiful flowing hair, but not in the ridiculous amounts found on other Moody sculpts. The pinto pattern is a little odd-looking on this release, but I think this one would have been from shortly before Breyer started using the sticker masking, so that's probably why.

In short, this is another mold I'd like to see in this year's Stablemate Club. I wish they'd just announce everything beforehand so I wouldn't have to say this on every Featured Model post....

Oh well. Have a happy Derby Day, everyone! I'll be rooting for everyone's favorite underdog, Patch, to at least hit the board, unlikely as that seems.

No comments:

Post a Comment