Saturday, April 22, 2017

Featured Model - 4/22/2017, Palomino Friesian

Greetings, readers, and welcome to the latest installment of Featured Model, the weekly blog event where I pick a model from my collection, give some stats on it and provide commentary about it. This week's model is...the Palomino G3 Friesian!

 

This handsome guy appeared in the 2008 JC Penney Parade of Breeds set, as a "Cob," a label bestowed on him fairly frequently (probably because you can only issue him in black so many times before people start to complain). He's item #410436, on the G3 Friesian mold sculpted by Jane Lunger.

I like this mold; he's got a lot of flowing hair, but he's not ridiculously hairy like various Moody molds. His face has a lot of personality. He does have the thicker legs typical of newer Stablemate molds, but considering the Friesian is a bigger breed, thick legs aren't necessarily out of place. And he has a nice animated gait that conveys plenty of action.

The mold has been used at Breyerfest at least four times and is in the current lineup in several different iterations, so I wouldn't expect him to show up at this year's Breyerfest or in the Stablemate Club. Though I wouldn't turn him down if he did.

I do wish Breyer would bring back the Parade of Breeds sets; they're fun to collect! Even though JC Penney seems to have gotten out of the Breyer game, I'm sure it could be done. Instead of having the Shadowbox Collection run for years and years with the same models, switch them out every year instead (though I suppose you'd run out of colors pretty fast). Or at least give us a new Shadowbox Collection when you change up the packaging...It doesn't seem likely to happen, but I can dream, can't I?

No comments:

Post a Comment