Friday, December 30, 2016

Featured Model - 12/30/2016, Milton


Hello, readers, and welcome to another edition of Featured Model, the weekly blog event where I pick a model from my collection, give some stats on it and make some commentary about it. This week's model is... Milton!



This model, item #1232, was produced on the Big Ben mold sculpted by Kathleen Moody. His production ran from 2004-2008. He was a portrait of the real Milton, a famous show jumper from the '90s.

This model really appeals to me - there's just something about a white horse, isn't there? Or gray-turned-white, in this case. I wouldn't mind seeing this Alabaster-ish color on a lot of models. It's a simple paint job, but still alluring.

The mold itself, I think, is one of Kathleen Moody's more underrated molds - he doesn't have the wild, flying hair of most of her other sculptures. But he's supposed to be a warmblood, horses that aren't exactly known for having abundant amounts of hair. Despite his doofy grin and horn-like forelock, he's very handsome. His original release, in 1996, was one of my first Breyer models, and he was one of my favorites! He's one of the few models from my "carpet herd" still in my collection.

Unfortunately, this particular individual has seam splits on the belly and withers - hopefully those don't progress any further than they already have. I can't have my pretty white horsey splitting in two!

The mold's last appearance in the regular line was the RCMP Musical Ride model, retired in 2015. Let's hope he shows back up soon! I wouldn't mind seeing him as a Web Special, either. Maybe in a color similar to this? He was one of the models at this year's Breyerfest live auction - that color is to die for!

Well, that brings me to the end of today's post. I hope everyone has a safe and happy New Year! (Good riddance, 2016.)

No comments:

Post a Comment