Friday, December 23, 2016

2017 Holiday Horse, Winter Wonderland


A few days ago there was a rumor on Blab that next year's Holiday Horse was a palomino Totilas. The rumor was true, and here he is: Winter Wonderland!



I've been waiting what seems like forever for a palomino Totilas! I still die a little inside every time I remember the 2014 Breyerfest volunteer model not being this guy. Total devastation (although Here's to You looks very nice on my shelf, don't get me wrong).

Anyway, Winter Wonderland is a definite must-have for next year. My husband usually gets me the Holiday Horses for Christmas, though, so I'll have to wait a year to get mine (presumably they'll be available at Breyerfest first).

I definitely like what little I can see of the paint job that's not being blocked by all the trappings. His color looks very similar to Noelle, if a little darker. Should be interesting putting the two next to each other to compare.

 I do kind of wish they'd tone down the outfits, though - they keep getting more and more elaborate every year. Pretty soon we won't even be able to see the model under them (use this space to imagine a giant cotton ball with horse legs sticking out of it, in lieu of my nonexistent Photoshop skills). I'm especially mystified by the owls.

Can't we just have a nice blanket with matching leg wraps or something? I used to get out all of my Holiday Horses and put the tack on them every Christmas, but the outfits have been getting progressively more complicated to put on and take off; this year I didn't bother. And I'm always worried about accidentally damaging the models while dressing/undressing them. Thoughts of the Snowflake MFT with his simple blanket seem quaint now - Bayberry and Roses and those ridiculous things on his legs are enough to make you (well, maybe just me) tear out your hair.

Interestingly, my searches on IDYB for this post led me to the realization that next year marks 20 years of Holiday Horses. I feel like Breyer should do something to commemorate it, but I have no idea what that would be (set of 20 Mini Holiday Horses on the Stablemate molds, a la the Breyerfest 20th Anniversary Commemorative Set? Sans costumes, of course. Way too small to be practical.) Well, it's an idea, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment