Saturday, December 15, 2018

Featured Model - 12/15/2018, Aurelius

Hello and welcome to another edition of Featured Model, the weekly blog event where I pick a model from my collection, give some stats on it and provide commentary about it. This week's model is...Aurelius!



This handsome guy was the Flagship model for 2014, only available from Breyer flagship stores. He caused quite the commotion when he came out! Nowadays I think his star has faded a little bit, but I think he's beautiful nonetheless. He's item #760240 and was a run of 3,000 on the Desatado mold sculpted by Kristina Lucas Francis.

I think Desatado looks excellent in this color! At the time of this one's release, I think a lot of people agreed with me, but a lot can change in four (almost five) years. His prices on eBay aren't anything to write home about, but I swear everyone and their dog was trying to find one back when he was first released. There's just something special about a nicely-shaded chestnut with flaxen mane and tail - I've always been a little partial to that color, myself. And he's glossy to boot! Mmm, plastic pony goodness.

Desatado, as you may remember, began life as the porcelain Roy Rogers and Trigger before being ambitiously repurposed as the inaugural Premier Club release back in 2012. Since then, he's appeared in a variety of different places, including as a web special, a Breyerfest raffle model, a Breyerfest glossy prize model, a TSC special run and more. His debut as a TSC special run was just a couple of months ago, and his only (to date) regular run release, as Picasso, is being retired at the end of this year. Where will he appear next? I suspect Breyer may give the mold a rest for the time being, but you never know - he could pop up as another web special or something. He hasn't had a Breyerfest auction model since 2014, so I wouldn't be surprised if he shows up there in 2019. Hopefully his next release is something attainable! 

No comments:

Post a Comment