Saturday, June 3, 2017

Featured Model - 6/3/2017, Leah's Fancy Breyer

Hello and welcome to another edition of Featured Model, the weekly blog event where I pick a model from my collection, give some stats on it and provide commentary about it. Last week's model was inadvertently a repeat mold, as I'd forgotten I already featured Esprit on the blog a few months ago. Oops! Oh well. Breyerfest is only 40 days away, people, so I picked a model from Breyerfest to feature this week. So without further ado...this week's model is...Leah's Fancy Breyer!

 

This cutie was produced as a special run for Breyerfest 2000 - wow, she's 17 years old this year! She was a portrait of the real Leah's Fancy Breyer, who was a Breyerfest guest along with her Celebration Horse dam, Leah's Fancy Chick. She's item #701600, produced on the Amber mold sculpted by Kathleen Moody, and a total of 2500 models were produced.

I really like this pretty filly's paint job. It would have been easy to paint it as a generic buckskin and call it a day, but her color is really nice. She has a lot of depth to her color - that's how it looks to me, anyway.

Amber is another one of those molds that tends to slip under the radar, probably because she isn't the new hotness anymore. The mold is 20 years old this year! Amazing. Kathleen Moody had a lot of molds debut in 1997 - Iron Metal Chief, Marabella and Amber/Ashley off the top of my head, and all those G2 Stablemates debuted in 1998. She was a busy lady!

I have about 9 Ambers in my collection - she doesn't get used much these days, or it would probably be more. Fortunately, most of her older releases are pretty easy to find cheaply. The only problem is sometimes she gets released without Ashley, and then I end up with uneven numbers of them! I think right now I have 9 Ambers and 8 Ashleys - I'll have to find another Ashley somewhere! I guess that's a pretty minor problem to have, though.

Some year, Breyer should do a year of foal web specials - seems like we hardly ever get any really special releases on the foal molds. They have enough Trad foals to do some kind of foal web special series, and it would be a pretty significant departure from the norm for them. Make it happen, Breyer!

No comments:

Post a Comment