Saturday, November 7, 2020

Featured Model - 11/7/2020, Carpe Noctis

 Hello and welcome to Featured Model, the weekly blog event where I pick a model I don't own but would like to, give stats on it and provide commentary about it. This week's model is...Carpe Noctis! 









Wow! This handsome sunset decorator was a Breyerfest auction model waaaaay back in 2001, made as a sort of "companion piece" to the Carpe Diem release. He was released on the old version of the Sherman Morgan mold sculpted by Jeanne Mellin Herrick. 

I really like Carpe Noctis! He really pulls off that sunset look - at least by 2001 standards. I mean, his old tail isn't the greatest, but I wouldn't mind finding this guy in my collection either. Not that that's very likely - I heard through the grapevine that someone got the deal of a lifetime at the Clarion back in 2016 by buying this guy for the princely sum of around $40. So whoever that was probably won't be letting go of him anytime soon! But...if you're out there and you change your mind...

Anyway, I don't have many Sherman Morgans in my collection, but all of them are decorators (my kingdom for a Crescent City!). My Carpe Diem model has the interesting distinction of being the only model in my collection that I sold, then regretted selling and bought back. His colors are just so pretty! Since all of my Shermies are decorators, I'm not sure if my subconscious decided it only wanted decorator Shermies in the collection or if it's just a coincidence - he hasn't been getting any realistic releases lately, so it's hard to tell. I mean, if somebody offered me a Best Supporting Actor for a good price I probably wouldn't turn them down, but for the most part, I'm all about the deco Shermies.

So where will we see a new Shermie? I could see him being used as a web special soon - he hasn't gotten that treatment yet, and Breyer seems to like using older molds as web specials. The mold first debuted in 1987, so he could show up in the Vintage Club, depending on your definition of vintage. Well, if they put an original decorator color on him I'd probably have to buy him, so there's that! 

No comments:

Post a Comment