Saturday, June 8, 2019

Featured Model - 6/8/2019, Riley

Hello and welcome to another edition of Featured Model, the weekly blog event where I pick a model from my collection, give some stats on it and provide commentary about it. This week's model is...Riley!



This handsome guy, item #712018, was a web special back in November 2008. He was a run of 400 (200 matte, 200 glossy) on the Smarty Jones mold sculpted by Sue Sifton.

This guy is a really nice color! I especially like his tail. Unfortunately, he wasn't very popular for some reason (possibly due to the US brand on his left shoulder), and I remember it took until late 2010 for the run to finally sell out (he was available on Breyer's Shopatron site, but didn't sell out until whatever was left were finally put on clearance along with a bunch of leftover WEG models).

Since then, the only other time Smarty Jones has been issued in gray was the Santiago release back in 2015. I hope we get another gray sometime - maybe a nice fleabitten gray like Silver  Charm? Or even a completely-grayed-out like Tapit? There are certainly plenty of gray Thoroughbreds to draw inspiration from!

I don't anticipate that we'll see Smarty used again for a while though, since he was finally the surprise model at last year's Breyerfest. He hasn't been a Holiday Horse yet - maybe next year? He's certainly had his share of Breyerfest auction models, including this one from 2014 that almost looks good enough to eat. Whatever his next release is, I hope it's something I can get my hands on!

No comments:

Post a Comment