Saturday, June 22, 2019

Featured Model - 6/22/2019, Glossy Fall

Hello and welcome to another edition of Featured Model, the weekly blog event where I pick a model from my collection, give some stats on it and provide commentary about it. In honor of our local draft horse show happening this weekend, this week's model is...Glossy Fall!




This model was part of Breyer's "Four Seasons" treasure hunt in 2010. Item #1417G, he's a regular run on the Othello mold sculpted by Kathleen Moody.

All of the colors in this treasure hunt were nice in matte, but Fall was the best glossy, with Spring a close runner-up. Whenever I see photos of him, I'm amazed at how nice they all look and how well they photograph. Although bay admittedly isn't my favorite horse color, this one was done really well. He has beautiful shading and almost mirror-like gloss. Definitely a winner!

Othello is one of Breyer's most popular molds, despite the fact that the sculpt is now so old it probably qualifies for Vintage status (he celebrates 20 years this year!). His most recent appearance was as the volunteer model Churchill at Breyerfest 2018. Where will he appear next? The prospect of him being the Breyerfest surprise model haunts my nightmares, but it doesn't seem likely; he's been used in almost every color, and I can almost guarantee fistfights in the special run line, at the Clarion, and anywhere else models are exchanged if he shows up. Such is his popularity! I hope Breyer stays well away...for my pocketbook's sake, if anything else. And don't shrink him down to Stablemate size, either! It's hard enough collecting the Traditional size version of him as it is!

No comments:

Post a Comment