Tuesday, October 2, 2018

The Big Cat series is no more!

...Because it's been replaced by the Wild Animal series! (But shouldn't it be Wild Animals?)



First in the new series is Kehinde, an okapi on the American Saddlebred Stallion mold. Okay then!

From the website:

The first release in Wild Animal Series is Kehinde, and he’s inspired by the enchanting and elusive okapi. Artist Karen Williams designed this piece, and gave him an incredibly realistic coat. Just like the okapi, Kehinde has zebra-like striping on his legs and hindquarters. His richly-shaded coat has a velvety appearance, fading into his dusky face.

I remember working on a project in elementary school art class where we had to "carve" an animal shape into a large rubber square, which we could then use as a stamp. I think the theme was African animals? Since I couldn't do a horse for whatever reason, I did an okapi instead. I think it turned out pretty well, if I do say so myself. Somewhere I still have that stamp, but I don't know where it is, or I'd post a picture. Anyway, that's my "okapi = horse" story.

Edit: Crud. Now I can't remember if my art project was an okapi or an onager. This is going to bother me! I think it was an onager, actually. Oh well. That's my "okapi onager = horse" story.

Needless to say, I'm definitely entering for this guy. Hope I get drawn! He's beautiful.  Good luck to everyone who enters!

No comments:

Post a Comment