Tuesday, October 16, 2018

I bless the rains down in Africa...

Good news, everyone! The Great News Vacuum of 2018 continues, but my Kehinde arrived today - behold!



His brown areas are a bit lighter than I thought they'd be, but that's not a bad thing. I think he's beautiful, if a bit odd (but you can't avoid that when you paint horses like other animals).



I think his paintjob is pretty well-executed, though. Here's a real okapi for comparison:

Image result for okapi

Looks pretty close to me, although Kehinde's leg stripes could be thinner. They look hand-painted, though, so they'd have to be masked to make them any thinner. One wonders why they didn't just mask the stripes to start with, but I guess I don't make the rules.



His eyes aren't as detailed as I would have hoped, but I suppose the goal was to look like an okapi's eyes, not a real horse's. I love the white shading on his flanks and cheeks, though!




Quality-wise, he's very good. There are a few smears in the edges of his stripes, which I expected. The model itself could have had a better cleaning job (a few spots of excess plastic here and there), but nothing major.

All in all, this guy is very handsome and I'm so glad I was able to add him to my collection! Major props to Karen Williams for designing him.

That's all I have for today, but stay tuned! The next arrivals here should be my Vintage Club Grace and Stablemate Club Finn. I haven't gotten a shipping notice for them yet despite ordering them last Thursday, but I'm hoping they just neglected to send one out and the models are already on their way here. I can't wait to see what colors I get - and the latest news from the grapevine is that there's a preview of a 2019 Vintage Club model with Grace! I'm looking forward to seeing it!

No comments:

Post a Comment