Saturday, October 23, 2021

Featured Model - 10/23/2021, Licorice

 Hello and welcome to another edition of Featured Model, the weekly blog event where I dodge the nuclear fallout pick a model I don't own but would like to, give some stats on it and rename my dog Dogmeat provide commentary about it. This week's model is...Licorice! 
















This model was a run of 12  and was item #712304, produced on the Zebra mold sculpted by Kristina Lucas Francis. She was the micro run hidden within the Christmas Candy zebras from 2019. IDYB has this one's name listed as Coal, but I could have sworn it was Licorice? Confusing. 

Although a black zebra is a little strange-looking (though you might be able to call it melanistic if you squint hard enough), I still really hoped I'd get one for the collection. Alas, it wasn't to be, but maybe I'll find one for sale someday. It's hard to go wrong with glossy black, really - though it does make them hard to photograph. 

We haven't had a new release on the Zebra mold since the Christmas one in 2019, but I'd really like to see another one - the mold has never had a lot of releases, and I'm sure Breyer's mass-zebra-painting techniques have improved since 2004. The Grevy's Zebra auction model from 2018 might provide a hint as to what a new regular run would look like, though I think a quagga would be pretty cool. Maybe we could get some kind of extinct animal series? Food for thought...though it might be a bit depressing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment