Saturday, December 2, 2017

Featured Model - 12/2/2017, Mini Cryptic

Hello and welcome to another installment of Featured Model, the weekly blog event where I pick a model from my collection, give some stats on it, and provide commentary about it! This week's model is - Mini Cryptic!




This, uh, "cute" little guy was issued as part of the Spooky Stablemates II set in 2006. The set consisted of three mini versions of prior Trad-size Halloween models. As such, mini Cryptic was a mini version of Cryptic, issued on Big Ben a few years prior. The Spooky Stablemates set was item #710016, and mini Cryptic was issued on the G2 Warmblood mold sculpted by Kathleen Moody.

He is sort of cute, I guess, and his paint job was a clever idea. Although I believe the original Cryptic's skeleton was glow-in-the-dark, which I don't think got carried over to the mini version.

Not that I don't like the model or anything - he's just more on the Spooky side of things. I wish Breyer would do this type of thing more often, honestly. We need more mini versions of Trad releases.

As for the G2 Warmblood, he's one of my favorite Stablemate molds - I love his pose. He's the quintessential Warmblood, even if his conformation isn't the best. This year's BreyerFest special run was great - silver bay is an excellent color and they pulled it off really well. I'm going to sound like a broken record here, but we're due for new Stablemate releases next year - maybe we'll get something fun on this mold. I hope so!

2 comments:

  1. I have cryptic and mini cryptic. The trad. is glow in the dark which as you said does not glow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As well as on trad cryptic there is also RIP on the hip.

    ReplyDelete