Saturday, March 4, 2017

Featured Model - 3/4/2017, Falhofnir


Hello and welcome to another edition of Featured Model, the weekly blog event where I pick a model from my collection, give some stats on it and provide commentary about it. This week's victim is...Falhofnir!



This hairy, handsome fellow was the first release on the Icelandic Horse mold sculpted by Kathleen Moody. He was the second release in the 2014 Premier Club, and holds the distinction of being one of only two releases (so far) that could be ordered with a matte or glossy finish (the other being Carrick). About 750 were made of these, although I don't think Breyer has ever given an exact number, nor did they give us a breakdown of mattes vs. glossies.
I ordered the glossy one because it seemed like a no-brainer, but I still wonder if the glossies outnumber the mattes. Either way, I had to buy the matte version secondhand later on so the collection would be complete. Which was fine, because I sold Croi Damhsa sight unseen after her photos didn't wow me, so I still ended up with three 2014 Premier Club models.

Moody molds usually get a lot of flak for their general hairiness and poor biomechanics, but I actually don't see a lot of criticism of the Icelandic, other than his wasp waist. This may be because real Icelandics have ridiculous amounts of hair, so it's not like the model is exaggerating things at all; Moody probably could have gotten away with sculpting even more hair on him if she'd wanted to.

So far, the poor Icelandic hasn't had a lot of releases; after his original release, we've only seen three: Elska, the Honeysuckle web special and the regular run Svali fra Tjorn that joined the line last year. But now that he's in the regular lineup, it seems likely that we might see him used for other things; every year I'm perpetually surprised that he hasn't been used at Breyerfest yet. Maybe this year will be the year!

Edit: D'oh, I forgot about Sokkar. Well, maybe next year we'll get a more attainable Breyerfest Icelandic.

No comments:

Post a Comment