Saturday, March 25, 2017

Featured Model - 3/25/2017, Mini Mosaic

Hello and welcome to another edition of Featured Model, the weekly blog event where I pick a model from my collection, give some stats on it and provide commentary about it! This week's model is...Mini Mosaic, on the G2 Morgan!

 

This model comes from the 2006 JAH Miniature Connoisseur Collection, item #701706, which contained miniature versions of Mosaic, Appropos, Third Time's A Charm, Quarterflash and Masquerade. 3000 sets were produced, but must have been a bit of a flop at the time, because I remember ordering one from Breyer's old Shopatron website back in 2010 or 2011. A far cry from the JAH specials of old, which usually sold out before any order I tried to make even made it back to Breyer headquarters. Ah, well.

I always liked this set because of how much detail they all had for such tiny models - eyewhites, irises, hoof details, etc. And the thing I like most about this particular mold was his tail - not terribly realistic, but it appeals to me a lot for some reason. He's so prancy and full of attitude!

He does make a good approximation of a miniature Mosaic, aside from his lack of mapping (that would have been truly impressive). Although bay isn't usually my favorite horse color, there's enough red in it here to make me really like him (if only he'd been a blood bay!).

Despite the fact that I like this mold, I don't actually have that many examples of it - less than 10, truth be told. For comparison, I'm a little more ambivalent about the G3 Cantering Warmblood, but somehow have 16 of them. I went quite a few years without really expanding my Stablemate collection much, though - I think there were so many I needed that I just didn't really want to get involved with it other than buying the occasional Breyerfest Stablemate.

That changed last year, though, when I finally got my hands on some of the old JCP Parade of Breeds sets I needed. One thing led to another and then my Stablemate collection increased by a good 50 models, if not more. Gah! The little shelf I display them on is nearly full - I'm going to have to find another one if this keeps up. Hopefully I can find some more G2 Morgans - I still have a little room for them. I hope they use this mold in this year's Stablemate Club!

No comments:

Post a Comment