Saturday, February 25, 2017

Featured Model - 2/25/2017, Nice


Hello and welcome to yet another edition of Featured Model, the weekly blog event where I pick a model from my collection, give some stats on it and provide commentary about it. This week's model is...Nice!



This cute little guy, on Breyer's Fjord model sculpted by Kitty Cantrell, was issued through JAH at the end of 2001 (with no item number, apparently). Subscribers who ordered that release received either Nice, or his "evil twin" Naughty in a gambler's choice of 1500 models per color. I remember when this release came out, but I don't remember if I tried to buy one or not; I was a broke high school student at the time, and I may not have bothered due to the curse of slow mail service (I'd tried to order something at least once before, only to have it be sold out by the time Breyer received my order). If I had ordered one, Naughty would have been the one I wanted more, but they're both pretty.

Henry is another one of those underrated molds that should be used more often. He's another rare example of a model with a textured coat. And I love Nice; his pearly white finish with soft blue shading - and the snowflakes! - are a great design. Unfortunately, while the Fjord is a cute mold, the real horses only come in about five different shades of dun, and Breyer has now done three of them (Henry, Silver Wolfe and GVF Sjokolade). And the mold is so distinctively Fjordlike that it's hard to use it as any other breed. Add that to the fact that the mold just isn't as popular as some, and there's just not a lot of incentive to use it.

That said, the mold did made an appearance at Breyerfest 2015 as the diorama contest prize Truffles, which was certainly a different sort of colorway. And of that photo of the five Fjord colors, I wouldn't mind seeing the one second from left as a new release. He'd be pretty! Come on Breyer, make it happen! My Fjord collection needs another addition!

No comments:

Post a Comment