Saturday, October 22, 2016

Featured Model - 10/22/2016, Hollywood Gold


It's time for another edition of Featured Model, the weekly event where I pick a model from my collection, give some stats on it and make commentary about it! This week's model is... the handsome Hollywood Gold! 



 This model, item #701799 issued on mold #50 Adios, was produced in 2000 for Quarter Horse Outfitters. He was a portrait of the real Hollywood Gold. ID Your Breyer doesn't have any information on how many were produced - I'd think around 2,000 or so, but I could be totally wrong on that.

The real Hollywood Gold was described as both dun and palomino, depending on who was doing the talking; I think it would be safe to assume he was a dunalino. The model certainly looks like a dunalino - and without the time to properly research this, I'm going to go ahead and say it was probably one of Breyer's first attempts at painting dunalino. And I think it turned out pretty well!

Adios is one of those molds that looks good in just about any color. I found this particular model at the Clarion last year, NIB for $20, after having been looking for one for years. Score! So he joined the collection. I'm up to 17 Adios models now - he is tied with Wintersong/Othello in my collection. I haven't acquired the Cherry Creek Fonzie Merit release yet; I'm pretty much waiting for my husband to get it for me for my birthday or Christmas (he's amused by Canadian things). I do have the web special Frappe, and I love his color too. I would LOVE to get a Cocoa Beach, but that doesn't seem likely to happen anytime soon. Pokerjoe is another release I like; the contrast between his white tail and the rest of his bay body is quite nice.

One of the only Vintage Club models I've purchased was Amigo back in 2014. He's a nice dark shade of charcoal - I prefer the mostly-black charcoal look to the brownish ones. Let's hope they eventually come out with that glossy bay Yellow Mount pattern on him - I'd buy that!

Adios is also one of the only Hess molds I still collect - I used to have examples of almost all of his molds in my collection, but most of them have ended up being sold off over the years - mostly when I needed shelf space for molds I like more. This mold is most often used to portray stock horses (not my favorite horse type), despite being a portrait of an older Standardbred stallion. Maybe that's why I still like him - because he wasn't originally sculpted as a stock horse? Who knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment