Saturday, January 18, 2020

Featured Model - 1/18/20, Times Square

Hello and welcome to another edition of Featured Model, the weekly blog event where I pick a model from my collection, give stats on it and provide commentary about it. Since we're still pretty early in the new year, I thought it would be fitting to talk about something New Year-themed! So...this week's model is Times Square!



This striking model was a special run for Breyerfest 2007. He's item #711037 and is a run of 1,250 on the Ethereal mold sculpted by Kathleen Moody.

This guy's design is certainly inspired - the visual of fireworks going off in the night works pretty well on him, I think. It doesn't hurt that he's glossy, of course! I'm not quite sure why his mane and tail have that gold tint, though - I suppose for dramatic effect or something. I know Ethereal has his detractors, but he's always appealed to me - I can see where his legs look bigger than they should be compared to the rest of his body, and his poofy muscles are admittedly odd-looking, but that's just part of Kathleen's style.

Ethereal has only appeared as a decorator a couple of times (more if you count auction models), so it might be fitting for him to show up at Breyerfest this year as a Celtic-themed decorator. He hasn't had any new releases lately other than the Calavera for Halloween a couple of years ago, so he's definitely overdue. I suppose he's always had a bit of an erratic release schedule - he (or part of him) technically premiered in an issue of JAH three whole years before Conquistador finally appeared on the scene, so I suppose it makes sense if he has a lot of gaps in his production schedule. Still, I'd like to see a new color on him soon! Maybe he'll be a web special? I hope so!

No comments:

Post a Comment