Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Rosemary is here!

Greetings, readers! Exciting news today - my Vintage Club freebie Stablemate, Rosemary, is finally here! Behold!



The vintage-style packaging for her is right on the money, I have to admit.

I'll admit I haven't been too excited about getting this model because old-style red roan is one of my most hated colorways (along with sandy/mealy bay), but at the same time...free stuff! It's hard to say no to that. And because I never leave models imprisoned in the packaging, here she is after being freed.



She isn't for sale, because I do collect the G2 Saddlebred, but I'll never be more than "meh" about the color.

But anyway, I'm happy to report that she's molded from cellulose acetate, as a properly vintage Stablemate should be! I'll have to put her next to my original black Saddlebred from the JAH collection back in '98...



...which makes me sad to think about, because it's already been 20 (soon to be 21!) years since these molds were released! Now I feel all old and stuff.



Her ribbons are cute - I wonder if they're Breyer's colors on purpose? Probably. It doesn't hurt that they're my alma mater's colors as well. Huzzah!

Quality-wise, she's pretty nice, but as you may have noticed from the previous pictures...



One of her front legs is significantly shorter than the other! What gives?! I have 16 others on this mold, and while some of them display a slightly-shorter left front leg, none of them have it to this degree. I think cellulose acetate is more vulnerable to environmental fluctuations than ABS, but this is ridiculous.

Oh well. She was free (for a given definition of, "free,") so I can't complain too much. To the shelf she goes! And with her arrival concludes my participation in the 2018 Vintage Club - probably the only time I will ever join, unless they drastically rework the club in the future.

I'm still fervently waiting for my Darwin to arrive, but I'm one of the many who didn't get a shipping notice for him, so your guess is as good as mine as to when he'll show up. I've also seen a few reports of people's models accidentally being sent to the wrong addresses, so make sure you clean up your address book on Breyer's website if you haven't done so already. Hopefully mine gets here soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment