Saturday, July 29, 2017

Featured Model - 7/29/2017, Dapple Gray G3 Tennessee Walking Horse

Hello and welcome to another edition of Featured Model, the weekly blog event where I pick a model from my collection, give some stats on it and provide commentary about it. We're back to Stablemates this week as this week's model is...the dapple gray G3 Tennessee Walker!

 

This model, like many new Stablemate molds released in 2006, was sculpted by Jane Lunger. This particular release was a regular run and was available from 2009-2011.

Resist dappling (the painting technique where a horse was splattered with paint-resistant grease before being painted and the grease was wiped off afterward, leaving unpainted spots on the model) was how many of Breyer's vintage models were painted, and we still see the technique get used occasionally despite improvements in painting models over the last 30 years.

A lot of the resist dappling you see these days is on Stablemate models - perhaps it's more cost-effective to paint them that way, since they're so small and painting Stablemate-sized dapples would be enough to make anyone go cross-eyed. I'll admit the resist dappling isn't my favorite way to paint models, but this one is pretty nice even so.

As for the mold, this guy is bombastic and fun, though I wish his gait were a little less exaggerated - he looks a little too much like a big lick horse for my tastes. However, he at least isn't wearing stacks, so I give him the benefit of the doubt.

That's all I have for today - tune in next time for more exciting Breyer-related news! Or photos from Breyerfest, or new arrivals...I'm not sure what's coming up next on the docket. I'll think of something!

No comments:

Post a Comment