Saturday, July 22, 2017

Featured Model - 7/22/2017, Sundown

Hello and welcome to Featured Model, back this week after last week's Breyerfest hiatus! Featured Model is the weekly blog event where I pick a model from my collection, give some stats on it and provide commentary about it. This week's model is a sentimental favorite, Sundown!

 

This model is on the Proud Arabian Stallion mold sculpted by Chris Hess. A regular run release, he ran from 1995-1996. It's hard to believe this model is already so old. He was one of my favorites growing up because of his unique color. He really does look nice for a 1990s release - maybe by 1995 Breyer had started working through their late '80s - early '90s growing pains. 

Sundown has always been special to me, because of his color (and the fact that I thought his tail looked like a french fry). He's got a cute little snip on his nose, too, and has a decent paint job for the time period (not that you'd really know now, because he's pretty beat up from being played with).

I used to have more examples of the PAS, but the dreaded shelf space shortage struck again a few years ago, so my other PAS models went down the road. Sundown stayed, though - it's not as hard to find shelf space for just one model. I always liked the PAS when I was younger because he looked like the quintessential Arabian to my mind, along with Sham. Of course, then I didn't know as much about anatomical faults and ABCs and conformation. Still, he makes a handsome model despite his problems.

The PAS is an old favorite with the vintage crowd - he was a Breyerfest raffle only a couple of years ago, and he gets an auction model every once in a while. Maybe he'll be next year's diorama contest prize? I don't think he has the build to be a racing Arabian, but we'll see. They'd just have to name him Flash and bam, he fits the theme. I guess we'll find out next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment