Sunday, July 16, 2017

Breyerfest 2017 Day 3: It's All Over

Breyerfest is over for another year. Sigh...

Fortunately, we know when the next Breyerfest is - July 13-15, 2018 - and the theme is Off to the Races!

I don't have any fun photos for this post, sadly - those are all on my other camera. Also, I forgot to mention earlier that Featured Model is on hiatus this week due to, you know, Breyerfest stuff.

Anyway, more on next year's theme in a bit. In our last two ticket times, I managed to accomplish my only real goal - find a glossy Indu. I now have all of the models I wanted from the special run line! In retrospect, it's a good thing I only wanted three of them to start with - I haven't wanted that few models since back in 2012, and it was kind of refreshing not to need absolutely everything. And since I didn't need the surprise models, I was able to trade one of my glossies for the volunteer model! Handshakes all around.

I also did very well, sales-wise - I'm only down $100 from the spending money I brought, and I bought a lot of models...let's not dwell on that. This was a great Breyerfest, at least for me! I was a little iffy about the change to how the special run lines line up, but once everyone figured out what was going on it made sense. We may have issues fitting everything into the car, but since we had issues fitting everything into the car to leave, that's not going to be a new thing. And if nothing else we can just ship stuff home if we need to.

Quality-wise, most of the models I bought were pretty good (I think - I haven't taken a lot of time to really examine them closely), other than my glossy Indu having some kind of plastic residue in one of his ears. A lot of the Indu models looked like they had fish-scaley dapples, but I was expecting that. The celebration models, on the other hand...I haven't had a chance to look at them myself, but my husband looked through them and thought they were all terrible to various degrees. I've heard a little bit of rumbling about that in other places, so I wonder what happened with those.

As for next year's theme, I'm definitely excited about it! There will be a lot of fun possibilities for special runs - I'm wondering if they'll limit it to Thoroughbred racing or incorporate other types of racing as well? Not going to speculate on which molds they'll use for special runs, although we'll most likely see True North, Duende and the Eberl set as special runs. Maybe the Eberl set will be the mare and foal set? If that ends up being the case, it would be awkward if they were drafters, despite our desperate need for a new draft foal. But I suppose it wouldn't stop Breyer as long as they named them something along the lines of [Insert Famous Thoroughbred Mare Here] and [Insert Famous Thoroughbred Mare's Offspring Here].

Of course, talking about the theme begs the question of who the Celebration Horse will be. A Thoroughbred? Perhaps a Standardbred? Or they could mix things up a bit and find an Arabian racehorse. Don't they race Appaloosas, too? That would throw everyone for a loop. Personally, I think they should use a former racehorse that went on to have a successful second career, to throw a bone to the aftercare industry. We'll have to wait and see, I guess. Either way, I'm sure I'll enjoy it - Breyerfest is my favorite time of the year, and I can't wait to experience it again!

Only 52 more weeks until Breyerfest!

No comments:

Post a Comment