Saturday, December 5, 2020

Featured Model - 12/5/2020, Yankee Doodle Dandy

 Hello and welcome to another edition of Featured Model, the weekly blog event where I pick a model I don't own but would like to, give some stats on it and provide commentary about it. This week's model is...Yankee Doodle Dandy! 









This handsome guy was a contest prize for Breyerfest 2007, though IDYB doesn't list which contest. I want to say hat contest? But I'm not sure. Anyway, only 30 of these guys were produced. He's item #711437 on the Shire B mold sculpted by Kathleen Moody. 

I decided to feature this model because auction or test models, and contest prizes, are rather few and far between on Classics molds these days, though a number of tests were sold at the live auction in the early years of Breyerfest. Other than the yearly glossy Classics model offered at live shows (usually a glossy version of the previous year's Classics Horse of the Year), we don't really see a lot of rare models done on Classics, probably because the Classics line is far less popular than the Traditionals. 

As for Yankee Doodle Dandy, I really like him, though I think his ribbons could have done with a little more detail since his run was so small. I'm not sure if you'd call his color splash or more of an extended sabino - either way, I like him. The white area makes a nice contrast with his shaded bay areas, and the blue is a nice complement. Another model I'd love to have in my collection, if one ever comes up for sale! Hopefully he'd be less expensive, too. 

The Shire B is one of those molds that doesn't get used very often - he's like the rare variant of the Shire A. He's been a regular run exactly twice, and has been used as a website special run twice - that's it for him outside of rare releases. Unfortunately, this makes me think we probably won't see another release on him for quite a while, but I think we're due for new Classics models next year, so you never know. I certainly wouldn't complain if he got another new release! Callahan needs some new friends! 

No comments:

Post a Comment