Saturday, November 30, 2019

Featured Model - 11/30/2019, Pokerjoe

Hello and welcome to another edition of Featured Model, the weekly blog event where I pick a model from my collection, give some stats on it and provide commentary about it. This week's model is...Pokerjoe!



This unique model is a portrait of the real Pokerjoe, the trick horse owned by Tommy Turvey. He's item #1359 and was a regular run on the Adios mold sculpted by Chris Hess.

I picked this model because I've always liked his white tail! So striking, especially on the real horse. But then, I've always had a bit of a soft spot for red bays with four white stockings, so the white tail just adds to the allure.

As for the mold, I wonder when we'll see him used again? He hasn't been a web special for 10 years, but he was used at last year's Breyerfest as the autograph model. His last regular run appearance, as Cherry Creek Fonzie Merit, wasn't terribly successful despite his goofy name - I have one, but the Tuesday Morning stores were full of them for $20 if I remember right. Sheesh, I can't even remember the last time I found a Breyer at a Tuesday Morning - not that I've been looking, since I hardly ever hear about them showing up there anymore.

Anyway, will we get a new Adios soon? I wouldn't be opposed to him getting another shot in the Vintage Club. Breyer seems to be stuck on using newer molds for the Collector Club special runs, but I guess we might see him there - doubtful, though. But maybe we'll get a new web special? I wouldn't be opposed to that, either. I wonder if they'll do a new theme this year? I suppose I'm getting rather America the Beautiful'd out - it's time to see what else they can come up with. Maybe a 70th Anniversary theme? New paint jobs on old molds? I wouldn't protest that at all, since I wouldn't have to buy most of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment