Saturday, January 26, 2019

Featured Model - 1/26/2019, Chinese Year of the Horse Esprit

Hello and welcome to the latest edition of Featured Model, the weekly blog event where I pick a model from my collection, give some stats on it and provide commentary about it. In honor of the upcoming Chinese New Year (Feb. 5), this week's model is...the Chinese Year of the Horse Esprit!



Issued in 2014, this model is item #1715 and was a regular run for that year only. He was issued on the popular Esprit mold sculpted by Kathleen Moody.

I have to commend Breyer for embracing some multiculturalism with this release, though I can't help but wonder what the Chinese painters thought while they were working on these models. It's an interesting design - I wonder if anyone actually from China gave input on it, or if it was strictly designed by Breyer? Either way, I like the shade of blue they used on the mane/tail/legs, though the other color combinations seem a bit garish (maybe that was intentional?). Either way, it would be great to get a Chinese person's take on it. And for that matter, I wouldn't mind seeing some other decorators based on other countries' traditions - that could give us some interesting designs and patterns.

If I remember right, there were some slight variations to these models, too - some of them had more green, while others had more red or purple.

Esprit himself has his detractors, and I'll admit he has a few unflattering angles, but I like him nonetheless. He does what he was intended to do - capture the essence of the equine spirit (IMO). While his anatomy isn't perfect, many Moody molds have the same issues, yet they sell well with the public - so clearly I'm not the only one that's not a stickler about correctness. It'll be interesting to see what Breyer does with the mold next. He's been a web special twice, was the surprise model for Breyerfest 2016, and has appeared in the regular run line twice, amongst other releases. Will we see him again as a web special this year? Or maybe he'll show up at Breyerfest? I kinda wonder if he'll appear at Breyerfest in some fashion. Hopefully it's an attainable release, if so!

No comments:

Post a Comment