Monday, July 17, 2023

Breyerfest Recap: It’s All Over But the Crying

 Greetings, readers! My apologies for not providing a recap of Breyerfest day 3 yesterday. I meant to, but then I met up with some friends at the Clarion, and then we started having margaritas, and the next thing I knew it was 2am and we were giggling our way through the halls back to my room. Easily the most fun I’ve ever had at Breyerfest! 

As for Breyerfest itself, it was a pretty good day - they ended up having a second chance sale and letting everyone through the wild card line for more chances at special runs (though I wish they’d publicized it better - I only discovered what was happening because I’d decided to go through the Breyer Store one more time and saw people lining up in the distance). On the first trip though I still needed the regular bay Scurry (I had shopped the entire Clarion the night before and didn’t see a single one for sale of either color), so I got a Scurry and a Speos since I still needed the decorator of him. But when I opened those, I got the regular Scurry and regular Speos. So I decided to make one more trip through the line and get two more Speos models, and if neither was the decorator I’d be done. So the first Speos I opened was the normal one, and I was already thinking I was done…but then I opened the second one and saw a glint of red! It was the decorator! Woohoo!

So that’s my story of the Speos and Scurry models. Now I just need to get my sales stuff packed back up and we’ll be ready to go. Sales were okay this year - I think I sold enough to almost cover the cost of the room. It’s just a little disappointing after last year’s crazy good sales, but I probably won’t be able to replicate that again unless I do another big purge of my collection and/or there’s another surprise model I don’t want. But I’m definitely looking forward to next year! 

Speaking of next year, of course, the theme for Breyerfest 2024 was revealed yesterday!







It’s definitely unexpected as a theme - I think most people thought it would be another country or something anniversary-themed, but honestly? I think it’s better when the themes are more abstract like this, because it cuts down on the number of people griping about the latest release not fitting the theme. So apparently this theme will encompass things like rescue horses, horses coming back from injury or having successful second careers, and so on. So I’m excited to see what we’re going to get next year! Also, there was some speculation that the horse in the picture is next year’s Celebration Horse, but I guess it’s just a generic horse photo from the Internet, so it’s anyone’s guess who the Celebration Horse will be. Guess we’ll just have to wait and find out! 

That’s all I have for now, but I hope everyone has a safe trip home and had a good time at Breyerfest! I’ll be heading home tomorrow, so I better get back to packing!

1 comment: