Saturday, July 15, 2023

Breyerfest Day 2: Off with a bang!

 Greetings, readers! Well, day 2 of Breyerfest 2023 is over, with no shortage of excitement! It all started when we pulled up to the Covered Arena and saw this coming:









It doesn’t look too terrible in the above picture, but by the time we got to the gate, all the lightning and thunder were starting to make me nervous, and we ended up hurrying into the Covered Arena along with everyone else because all the tents were being evacuated. So I made my way over to the raffle ticket booth while the storm raged outside…and while I was putting my tickets in the bin, I heard a “pop” followed immediately by an incredibly loud thunderclap, which made everyone in the immediate vicinity jump about a foot into the air. Fun stuff! Later I heard a lightning rod on top of the covered arena had been hit, but at the time it sounded like it had hit somewhere around the Hall of Champions. So it was good to hear no one got hurt/nothing was damaged.

After the excitement of the storm was over, we watched the chuckwagon races for a while and then went to redeem some more special run tickets. I had six more Stagecoach Surprise tickets to use, so by the time I got done with those, I’d gotten three glossy buckskin pintos, a matte gray, a matte black pinto and the decorator. Since then I’ve traded the matte black pinto for a matte buckskin pinto, then traded a glossy buckskin pinto for a glossy Medicine Hat pinto, and finally traded the last glossy buckskin pinto for a glossy gray pinto. Then I found a matte chestnut at the Clarion for a price I was willing to pay, so I’ve managed to obtain every color and finish except the glossy black pinto! Woohoo!

What I haven’t managed to find is a regular Scurry - I’ve only been able to obtain one wild card ticket and no Scurry tickets, and when I used the one wild card I got the alternate Scurry color. No biggie, I’d find one at the hotel, right? Wrong, so wrong! I shopped everywhere except the 200s tonight and have seen zero Scurrys of any color for sale, anywhere. Kind of bewildering considering I’ve seen everything else - is no one buying them? 

Anyway, during my wanderings, I was able to get a picture of the Breyerfest volunteer model, the mysterious third color:









That’s right - red roan! What a pretty color. 

Not sure what else to talk about - hmm. No luck in the Saturday raffle, though I was displeased to arrive at the Covered Arena at 4:26 to find the raffle halfway over - it was advertised to start at 4:30, right? Oh well. I’m told my name wasn’t called before I got there, so no harm done. What else? I attended the live auction for funsies and was pleased to note the prices weren’t as out of control as last year - except the Saturday raffle, which sold for $17k for some reason. I guess two people must have REALLY wanted it. I was also a little surprised that the Pegasus Newsworthy didn’t sell for more - I didn’t think it would break the $65k record, but I thought it would go up a little bit at least.

Oh yeah - I managed to get a loose mane Jump & Drive, and had absolutely no luck trying to trade my other four tickets for something more useful, so I decided to just sell them and call it a day. Next year I may just get all wild card tickets, since it’s an anniversary year and the special run line will probably be just as crazy (if not more). 

Wel, it’s late and I’m getting pretty tired, so I think I’m going to head to bed. More excitement to be had tomorrow!




No comments:

Post a Comment