Wednesday, November 17, 2021

The Midas Touch, and other new arrivals

 Just when I had pretty much forgotten about the Ambrose special run from 2019, and the lack thereof from last year...Breyer strikes again! 


















From the email:

Breyer’s master artisans have the “Midas touch” – every model they touch turns to (figurative) gold! Midas, a fabulous sport pony, represents the pinnacle of Breyer craftsmanship. This highly-limited edition of 250 pieces was handpainted at Breyer’s New Jersey facility by the same artisans creating our most limited models, including BreyerFest raffle and auction models.

Midas is painted as a loud chestnut splash pinto with two blue eyes. His white markings are fully mapped, and his chestnut base color is beautifully shaded with plenty of contrast. He’ll be perfectly at home both on display as a collectible piece, or under saddle as your next performance prospect. Midas has “Breyer Special Edition” printed on his belly for authenticity, and is packaged in a mail-order box.


Well, he's definitely beautiful, but I'm not a Flash collector (nor do I want to spend another $295 on top of all the other expenditures I've had lately and will have in the near future), so I'mma just sit this one out. Good luck to everyone entering, though! 

In other news, the other two sculptors for the 2022 Premier Club have been announced - Sarah Mink and Kitty Cantrell. (They can't use Kitty's name in the announcement because of contractual obligations).  Sounds promising, though I've not been a big fan of Sarah's prior work for Breyer so far except for Malik, and his toothpick front legs bother me whenever I look at him. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing a new Moody sculpt...though I may be the only person that would! Oh well. On the other hand, I didn't like her last sculpt for Breyer (the Classic Thoroughbred), nor was I enthralled by her latest sculpt for Copperfox (the Hackney) so maybe I don't want a new Moody after all. 

I also have a couple of new arrivals today - Snickerdoodle and Eira! 




Snickerdoodle is just as cute as she looked in the photos! I love her.


















Her mane and tail are decently well-masked to boot. I love how pearly she is! 
















She has such a sweet face! And her quality is pretty good other than a small rub on her nostril, and somehow she's developed a bad case of pigeon feet in the front. 

Here's a look at Eira! 















Despite the description on the box, this one is in fact a stallion (as is the Stablemate version of Emma). I had been hoping this would basically be a Stablemate tree ornament, but he's molded from something other than the usual Stablemate ABS (probably resin) and is significantly bigger than the Stablemate Emma): 
















He's a beautiful color, though - I love that shade of blue. I feel like the horn could have used a little more effort, but otherwise I like him. Now I'll just have to go back to hoping we get a real Stablemate version of the Spanish Barb someday...

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for the side-by-side shot! I had been wondering about that.

    ReplyDelete