Sunday, August 29, 2021

Featured Model - 8/29/2021, Spanish Barb

 Hello and welcome to Featured Model, the weekly blog event where I pick a model I don't own but would like to, give some stats on it and provide commentary on it. This week's model is...the original porcelain Spanish Barb! 


This model was produced in 1994, run number unknown. He was one of the first sculptures Kathleen Moody did for Breyer, and one of her best if you want my opinion. He's item #79194. 

This model is a porcelain, and since the unfortunate Broken Adriano Incident of 2017, I'd decided I no longer want any porcelain models in my collection. This position hasn't changed - I picked this model so I could ask, "WHERE ARE MY PLASTIC SPANISH BARBS, BREYER?" 

If you'll remember, this model was finally (finally!) issued in something other than porcelain or resin in 2019, with the debut of the Majesty tree ornament (although that one may be some type of resin? Unsure on that). But! He was also used in three different releases as a Mini Whinny in 2020! So Breyer has clearly figured out whatever issues were blocking them from releasing this mold in a medium other than porcelain. Which brings me back to the question at hand - where are my plastic Spanish Barbs? This mold is one of my favorites of all time (though you wouldn't really know it, as I only have my poor broken Adriano and Majesty in my collection), and he needs more representatives! Give me some Stablemate Spanish Barbs! Majesty needs some company. 

Note: I am not intending this to be a complaint post...just a commentary, if you will. I certainly hope we get a Spanish Barb in next year's Stablemates Club lineup! Or perhaps a regular run, or something else obtainable? Maybe the Premier Club Stablemate? We need more, Breyer! 





No comments:

Post a Comment