Saturday, September 19, 2020

Featured Model - 9/19/20, Glossy Esprit

 Hello and welcome to another edition of Featured Model, the weekly blog event where I...pick a model I'd really like to own, give some stats on it and provide commentary about it. This week's model is...Glossy Esprit! 


This handsome guy was the glossy version of the original Esprit release sculpted by Kathleen Moody. Only 33 of these models were glossed, as volunteer models at Breyerwest 2010 - back when Breyer went all out for their Breyerwest show and produced glossy prize models for the show and volunteers, and there was even a special run you could buy! 

Anyway, the original Esprit, even in matte, is still kind of a hot commodity, and obviously the glossy ones are as well. The early Esprits had a weird square on their backs that didn't have any dapples, and it looks like that's true for the above glossy model as well. The speculation was that whatever the models were clamped into for the dappling part of the paint job kept that area of their backs from having dapples on it. I believe it was fixed later in the run? I think my matte Esprit has it, so he must be from earlier in the run. Anyways, dapple gray is a really nice color for this guy - but dapple gray is one of my favorite colors, so I may be biased. You don't really ever see glossy Esprits for sale, either - I think I've only seen one or two in the 10 years since they were released. But maybe someday I'll have one - if I can find a money tree! 

As for Esprit himself, it's hard to say where we'll see him next. Maybe he's the next collector club special run? Or he could be a web special. It's been a while since he's been used for anything, so he could really show up anywhere. Well, as long as I can get my hands on one, I'll be happy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment