Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Just when I thought it was safe to avoid the pop-up tent...

...Breyer comes out with one last special run! Say hello to Winner's Circle, the autograph horse!




However, due to some misplaced fingers when I started typing his name, I may have to give him the informal name of Wubbalubbadubdub...

Ahem. Anyway...this guy is the official autograph horse of the 2010 WEG 2018 Breyerfest! That's right; Breyer has done autograph horses before. Look familiar? That's the 2010 World Equestrian Games autograph horse, on the Cleveland Bay. I'm not sure why these guys have matching paint jobs, other than to make the autographs more visible. Maybe we'll get more autograph horses in this color in the future?

Interestingly, although I don't own an example of the WEG autograph horse myself, it was reported at the time that they were molded from ABS, which is what most modern Stablemates are molded from. The prevailing thought was that this was so they could keep the model's price down. Since Winner's Circle is being sold for the low, low price of $25 (the same price as the WEG autograph horse), I'd say the chances are good that he'll be molded from ABS too. Which could lead to issues with yellowing in the future, similar to what we have now. Just remember: if he does start turning yellow down the road, don't put him in the window! Exposure to sunlight makes ABS turn yellow faster.

I had been quite happy that we wouldn't need anything from the Breyer Store or the Garland Gift Shops this year, so I'm mildly disappointed that this guy popped up. I'm hoping his quantity will be fairly plentiful so I don't have to stress myself out too much getting one, because it's looking like we're going to be really busy this year. Hopefully we can squeeze a trip through the gift shop into the schedule!

2 comments:

  1. Based on the ABS Stablemates I've owned, I'd worry as much about eartip/leg breaks as yellowing. (Though the yellowing is a serious problem, given sunlight worsens it and Retr0brite tends to turn it slightly green on ABS models...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I wish Breyer would use the good old cellulose acetate to mold all of their limited/special edition Stablemates, since it seems to age better than ABS does...

    ReplyDelete