Saturday, June 19, 2021

Featured Model - 6/19/2021, Test Splash Desatado

 Hello and welcome to another edition of Featured Model, the weekly blog event where I pick a model I don't own but would like to, give some stats on it and provide commentary about it! This week's model is...the test red dun splash pinto Desatado (try saying that five times fast)! 









This model was one of the possibilities in the Making a Splash voting contest in 2019. He's a test/OOAK produced on the Desatado mold sculpted by Kristina Lucas Francis. 

The Making a Splash vote took place at Breyerfest 2019 - attendees could vote on three different models to be produced as a Collector Club special run the following year. The other two models with this colorway were Esprit and Duende, with Duende ending up the winner and being released as Fabio last year. The other two test models were given away as prizes for finding the most hidden images in last year's JAH, but we never did hear who won them. As an aside, I believe I voted for the Esprit in this contest, but that color is equally handsome on all three of them! Splash is always such a striking color to use. I wonder what they would look like in gloss? 

As for Desatado himself, I keep seeing rumblings that he could be this year's Breyerfest surprise model, and it's definitely a possibility. Some quick research shows that of all the Breyerfest surprise models (except the QHG), only two of them were in regular run production at the same time, so clearly they're not averse to running the mold solely for Breyerfest production (several of them had special runs around the same time as their Breyerfest appearance, which makes sense). This actually makes Desatado more likely to be the surprise model than my other guess, Forever Saige (she's in the current line as Cloud's Encore). I had been going by the "previously appeared in the Breyerfest live auction" rule in choosing her, but since there weren't as many auction models last year as in the past, I'm not sure that rule is worth following this year. I guess personal preference influenced that choice as well, as I'd rather see Forever Saige as the surprise than Desatado, despite having both molds in my collection. Ah, well - we'll find out in about a month! Or maybe longer, if these shipping delays affect the Breyerfest models as well...

No comments:

Post a Comment