Saturday, June 12, 2021

Featured Model - 6/12/2021, 2014 Auction Ashquar

 Hello and welcome to another edition of Featured Model, the weekly blog event where I pick a model I don't own but would like to, give some stats on it and provide commentary about it! This week's model is...the 2014 Auction Ashquar! Before I get started, though, let's have a moment of silence to mark the passing of Janice Cox, the owner/operator of Identify Your Breyer. From what I've heard, she had been in the hospital for the last couple of weeks and passed away yesterday. Her site has been an invaluable resource to me and many other hobbyists and she will be greatly missed in the hobby. I didn't know her personally, but did sell her a Carinosa PAM a few years ago. 















This handsome boy was a OOAK sold at the Breyerfest live auction back in 2014. He was issued on the Ashquar mold sculpted by Brigitte Eberl. 

He's described as a "Metallic Smoky Black," but he's basically an updated charcoal (not that that's a bad thing). He reminds me of an old toy horse (not a Breyer) I had as a kid - it was black with a white mane and tail and may have had articulated legs. I remember when this model was first revealed, because it was the first new release on the mold since his Premier Club debut the year before, and then it took until the end of 2014 for Chamonix to be released. So the Ashquar release was a bit lonely for the first 18 months of existence! They've made up for it since then, of course. He's only been an auction model twice, though - maybe he'll get another one this year? Speaking of auction models, when are we going to start seeing the ones for this year? I hope it's soon. 

Ashquar is being used as one of the store specials for this year's Breyerfest, and he was one of the special runs for the Seattle Soiree last year, so it's hard to say where we'll see him next. I suspect he'll get a rest for a while, but I suppose it's possible he could be this year's surprise model. I wouldn't be opposed to that, though I think Forever Saige is more likely. Maybe Ashquar will get a web special? He hasn't had one of those for a while, and with those long, spindly legs he could easily pass for a flamingo. Here's hoping! 

No comments:

Post a Comment