Friday, May 4, 2018

Oops - They Did It Again

Periodically, Breyer does a "free shipping with purchase of $X or more" on the website. For instance, for the entire month of May they're doing free shipping with purchase of $50 or more.



(They're also doing a "free American Pharoah resin with purchase of $250 on the website" deal. Hahaha...sorry, but no. No offense to the Champ, but that's a "deal" I'm just going to have to pass up. Plus, I bet it doesn't stack with the free shipping offer.)

Nearly every time they do this, I go to the website and throw a couple of items into the cart to see if they add up to whatever the required amount is. Then I think to myself, "I wonder if I could get this cheaper on Amazon." So I go over to Amazon and sure enough, they have it cheaper there and I get Prime shipping to boot.

So whenever Breyer does the free shipping promotion, my money usually ends up going to Amazon instead. As an example, right now Amazon has Day Dreamer for $18.24 and Mason for $18.25. On Breyer's own website, Day Dreamer costs $25 and Mason costs $22. Now, the deal on Breyer's website might be worth it if my Collector Club 10% discount also worked with the free shipping deal, but it doesn't. Sorry, Breyer, but this is an expensive hobby and I have to make my funds stretch as far as they can. Buying them on Amazon saves me $11, plus I can get free Prime shipping whenever I want. It's generally not worth buying anything directly from Breyer's website unless they're offering free shipping plus 10% (or 20%) off, but that only happens during Christmastime, and I want my new models sooner than that, damn it!

This hasn't been the case as often lately, because in the last few years the Breyer prices on Amazon have been more or less consistent with what Breyer themselves charge. In years past, most Traditional regular runs could be had for around $5 off retail, if not more. That's not really the case anymore for whatever reason, but since these Classics were cheaper, maybe the Traditionals will come down in price again. I certainly hope so!

No comments:

Post a Comment