Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Breyerfest 2018 Stablemate: Hands Down!

Whew, I've been failing at blogging the last couple of days. Just too busy to post! Better late than never, I guess. Yesterday Breyer posted a new teaser on the blog, and it turned out to be for the Garland Gift Shop Stablemate! Behold: Hands Down!


I have to say I'm ambivalent about this one. The mold debuted as a Christmas ornament. The tack and jockey are molded on, right? I've never been a fan of molded-on accessories. It's kind of odd that they decided to convert this ornament over to plastic for Breyerfest - maybe they're going to remove the molded-on stuff when they use it in the future? Even then, the horse is kind of generic - I'd rather have seen the Seabiscuit ornament (though it wouldn't stand without help), or the Secretariat one (also would need help standing)...all right, I guess I see why they used the one they did. Incidentally, did we know the G3 Standing Thoroughbred was used for this ornament in 2015? Weird.

Actually, Breyer, if you're planning on turning more ornaments into Stablemates, I'd be interested in most of the Beautiful Breeds series. Just throwing that out there.

Anyway, I'm going to pass on this one - it's not at all what I was expecting to see, although I suppose I should be glad it's at least following the theme. So, now I at least know I won't need to buy anything from either of the Garland Gift Shops, since I don't collect crystals. That's handy - maybe this year I can finally watch the opening ceremony on Friday, such as it is.

Unless, of course, Breyer throws some unexpected stuff into the mix, which is always possible. Hopefully they don't! I like the convenience of not needing any of the store specials or pop-up-shop stuff. Plus, I save money!

Also, yes, Koh-i-Noor briefly came back in stock on the website today. I missed it, again, and it's always nice to read about how other people bought multiples (again) when I just want one of them. Sigh. Hopefully I can find one at Breyerfest.

2 comments:

  1. I'm new to this, and was at Breyerfest for the first time. However, I've actually been looking for exactly something like this for some time - a racehorse molded with a jockey for another project. I picked up one of these as well as an American Pharoah ornament. I personally would love to see the other ornaments rereleased as Stablemates. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, there are several other ornaments I wouldn't mind seeing as Stablemates- I suspect we'll see more of that in the future.

    ReplyDelete