Saturday, November 19, 2016

Featured Model - 11/19/2016, Applejack


Hello and welcome to yet another edition of Featured Model, the weekly blog event where I pick a model from my collection, give some stats on it and provide commentary. This week's selection is...Applejack!



This dapper little fellow, item #1457, was produced in the latter half of 2011 as part of the (now-discontinued) Collector's Choice series, where collectors could send in their ideas for models and possibly have them produced as a limited run. He was produced on the Cefnoakpark Bouncer mold sculpted by Kathleen Moody. There's no indication of how many of these were made, but I think Collector's Choice models were considered regular run items, so: however many RR items could be produced in a 6-month period, presumably. This particular release is obviously inspired by My Little Pony (though I'm not sure Breyer got the memo?).

I wasn't able to buy Applejack when it first came out because I hadn't yet located the one flagship dealer in my area that would probably have carried it. I was especially irked about it because earlier in the year, Breyer had made a Collector's Choice model (Gathering Storm) available directly from their website - but didn't bother to do it with Applejack. So frustrating!

But on to the commentary- I really like this model. Before I bought him, I hadn't realized how shiny and pearly his mane and tail were, and was pleasantly surprised when I unwrapped him. He's pretty! I'm a sucker for pearly, though. I also seem to remember that a lot of these models had box rubs and other factory flaws, but I'm happy to report mine has very few.

I like the Bouncer mold a lot, but only have 4 of his releases. This is another mold that needs to be used more often - I still can't believe they didn't use him for one of the Berry Pony web specials. And I'd have been totally fine with the 2012 Breyerfest Sixes and Sevens being on Bouncer instead (can you imagine the hysteria over the glossy/matte split?). Okay, maybe it's better they didn't do that release on Bouncer.

No comments:

Post a Comment