Friday, November 11, 2016

Featured Model - 11/11/2016, Chamonix


Hello and welcome to this week's edition of Featured Model, the weekly blog event where I pick a model from my collection, give some stats on it and make some commentary. This week's victim is... Chamonix!




This handsome fellow, item #712113, was issued on Breyer mold #727, Ashquar. A Brigitte Eberl sculpt, Ashquar was the second Premier Club release of 2013. After his initial release, it took Breyer a while to use the mold again - in 2014 he showed up as the brick-and-mortar special run Sahran, and Chamonix showed up later that year.

A run of 300 models, Chamonix is a little less plentiful than many of the other holiday silver filigree releases we've had - Mont Tremblant, Sugarloaf and this year's Avalanche are all runs of 350, plus others I'm probably forgetting. This wasn't helped by the fact that apparently Reeves lost half of the shipment of Chamonix(es?) on the way over from China, and many of the people who ordered him in fall 2014 didn't end up receiving him until January or later. This was the case with mine - a helpful Blabber sold me hers after I wasn't drawn, and he didn't show up on my doorstep until January. He was worth the wait, though! Silver filigree is my favorite Breyer colorway (I refer to them as my "silver sparkleponies") and the only color I try to buy regardless of whether I collect the mold it's on or not. (So irritated I wasn't drawn for the silver filigree buffalo! Oh well.)

I've seen a lot of commentary about not liking Ashquar's snaky neck/head, but it honestly doesn't bother me. I've also seen him compared to the Black from Walter Farley's Black Stallion books, and it seems an apt comparison (other than the purist in me protesting that the Black wasn't a purebred Arabian!). He's a fun mold, and I've managed to get all of his releases so far. He definitely needs to be used again soon, though - maybe we'll get a RR release soon. He's now been a Breyerfest SR and a Collector Club SR - it would be nice to see him in a wider release. Maybe as a portrait of Magic Elixir? Or as the Black, though I have to admit I find most black paintjobs on models kinda boring without some chrome in there to mix it up. Either way, though, this mold needs to get some more love!

No comments:

Post a Comment