Saturday, September 1, 2018

Featured Model - 9/1/2018, Tesoro de Oro

Hello and welcome to another edition of Featured Model, the weekly blog event where I pick a model from my collection, give some stats on it and provide commentary about it! In honor of Thursday's Alejandro reveal, this week's model is...Tesoro de Oro!



(Throwback to when I still used the white backdrop!)

Tesoro de Oro was the second Collector Club special run for 2014. As item #712132, he was a run of 1,000 produced on the...Gypsy Vanner? Laredo? Something else? Well, whatever. He was sculpted by Kathleen Moody, and boy howdy, you should have seen the kerfuffle when he was first introduced!

Okay, I admit this version of the mold does have noodly legs (among other problems), but I like him anyway. Of course, being a Moody sculpt, he has oodles of hair, but this guy is a little different from the norm - he has braids in his mane! We don't usually see a lot of that kind of stuff nowadays. Of course, not every model gets those sorts of details, so poor Tesoro's braids aren't painted. It would have been nice if they were, since he did get the horseshoe treatment, but Breyer must not have thought it worth the effort.

I do really like this guy's color; that gold buckskin treatment is so striking! Plus he's glossy! Definitely a win-win.

Until Alejandro was announced, Tesoro de Oro was the only time this combination of mold parts had been used in this configuration, after its debut as Laredo in 2013 (not counting last year's auction model, which was probably left over from one of those two production runs). Like I said on Thursday, not long ago I was thinking about this model and wondered when they'd use it again, and voila! A new release, finally! I wonder if he'll pop up in other places, too? Surely they'll have some whiteware left over, right? Maybe we'll get a web special, too! Although I would hope his braids are painted if that ends up being the case.

Which reminds me - we don't yet know if Alejandro's braids are painted, since Breyer didn't see fit to provide us with a photo of his off side. I hope they are, though! Teal or some type of blue would look nice with his mane! Hopefully we don't have to wait too long to find out.


No comments:

Post a Comment