Saturday, May 4, 2019

Featured Model - 5/4/2019, Onyx

Hello and welcome to another edition of Featured Model, the weekly blog event where I pick a model from my collection, give some stats on it and provide commentary about it. This week's model is...Onyx!



This model was the last special run produced for Breyer Fun Day events in 2010 - nowadays they just have a show and Stablemate painting (if that). Anyway, he's one of only four releases we've seen on the Show Arabian mold sculpted by Kathleen Moody, and he's item #703113. No word on how many were produced.

This mold looks quite striking in this color! I like the contrast of his lighter mane and tail against the rest of his body. And he's glossy to boot! What a handsome guy. I was going to write something about how presumably unpopular he was, but there aren't any of him for sale on eBay right now, and apparently only three have been sold there in the last 3 months. Maybe his popularity went up? That, or a lot fewer pieces were produced than we thought.

As for the Show Arabian itself, is it bad that I think this mold is criminally underused? I mean, they have to be planning to do something with him eventually, right? They got the mold out to make 1,000  bodies for the Marigold special run back in 2017 - presumably they'd run a few thousand more to make it worth the effort, wouldn't they? Maybe I'm just biased because I want to see a new release on this mold.

Hopefully we get something new on him soon - I'll definitely buy it, as long as I can suppress the ever-present urge to snap that mane right off his body whenever I see him. It just looks so snappable! Gah.

No comments:

Post a Comment