Saturday, May 11, 2019

Featured Model - 5/11/2019, Damara Zebra

Hello and welcome to another edition of Featured Model, the weekly blog event where I pick a model from my collection, give some stats on it and provide commentary about it! This week's model is...the Damara Zebra!



This model was produced from 2000-2004 and was the first zebra produced by Breyer (I think). She's item #468 on the Zebra mold sculpted by Kristina Lucas Francis.

This model was definitely an ambitious undertaking, since I'm pretty sure the black stripes are masked, in the old-style way with the metal mask that clamped onto the model (the current laser-cut, adhesive masks didn't debut until a few years later), and the lighter brown stripes are airbrushed, so painting these would have been a fairly huge undertaking. I'm almost surprised the production run lasted as long as it did, considering.

Anyway, that was the first and only time this mold has been used in the regular run line. The only other widely-available (somewhat) production run on this mold was Caves of Lascaux at Breyerfest 2015. Maybe someday we'll get an updated Zebra? I mean, if it looks anything like this auction model from last year, I'm all for it.

In the meantime, though, I continue to hope for candy-cane-striped Christmas zebras. That would be awesome! Maybe a red one, a green one, and a red-and-green one? They'd all be somewhat hard to pull off, but I'm sure Breyer could figure something out. Let's hope we don't have to wait much longer!

No comments:

Post a Comment