Saturday, August 4, 2018

Featured Model - 8/4/2018, Mason

Hello and welcome to the latest edition of Featured Model, the weekly blog event where I pick a model from my collection, give some stats on it and provide commentary about it. This week's model is...Mason!



I figured I would talk about Mason this week because he's a relatively new purchase on a brand-new mold and I never got around to talking about him earlier! Here's his other side.



Mason is the 2018 Classics Horse of the Year, which seems to be Breyer's program for introducing new Classic molds. I definitely like it! More Classics are definitely needed. I seem to remember reading that this model was sculpted by Kitty Cantrell, but I can't remember where I saw it now.

In any case, I really like this guy! He reminds me of the old Traditional Five Gaiter by Chris Hess, but less beefy (that's a good thing, in my book). I'm guessing he represents a more modern body type? I don't follow Saddlebreds that closely, but that would be my guess.

Since this guy is a regular run, you can't really expect him to have a lot of detail to his paintjob, so he doesn't have dapples. He does have nice shading though, and plenty of variation to his paintjob so he's not just a boring gray color. Plus, he has a two-tone tail! I love it when that happens.

I'm excited to see what colors Breyer puts on this mold in the future. Maybe we'll see it at Breyerfest next year? I'm sure it'll get used in the regular run line again as well. Uh oh - I just realized there's going to be a glossy version of this guy raffled off at qualifying shows next year as well. Another glossy to put on my list! Fortunately, glossy Classics aren't nearly as expensive as their Traditional counterparts.

Anyway, I can't wait to see what they do with Mason next! I wonder if they'll do another crazy Halloween release like they did with Goblin last year? That would be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment